Friday, June 17, 2011

Project review – Yoga Mat Bag

My blog header says that ‘I like to make things. I like to travel. I like to talk about what I'm up to’ I haven’t really kept on the ‘I like to make things part’, so I thought I’d toss in some project reviews.

Last year I bought a copy of One Yard Wonders, a book with lots of cute patterns that I figured would help me use up some of my fabric collection. Of course, these things only work if you use them and the book languished on my work table.

Earlier this year Pink Chalk Fabrics, a really nice online quilting store, started working their way through One Yard Wonders – every week they do two projects, first showing the project picture from the book along with their fabric choices and later following up with a post showing the finished projects and their construction notes. I’ve been following along, reading the blog, thinking ‘I should do that’. When they got to the yoga mat carry bag I decided it was time. Here is their version.

And here is mine:

2011 Jun 16 006

 

I used 1/2 yard of Kaffe Fasset stripe for the exterior and 1/2 yard Kona Cotton for the interior. As I was determined to sew this one from what was in my sewing room I didn’t buy webbing for the strap – I used a coordinating Kaffe Fasset stripe.

2011 Jun 16 007

Rather than an elastic top I made a casing and put in a drawstring. The white cordlock doesn’t really match, but it was to hand. I’ll have to dig deeper in the stash to see if I have another colour.

2011 Jun 16 008

See- I really do have a yoga mat in there!

I made a few changes to the pattern as written. I left off the pocket. The lighter weight fabric strap/handle is fine for light usage, but if I was carrying this bag around a lot I’d go for a sturdier handle and reinforce the attachment points for durability. As stated I used a drawstring rather than elastic for the top.

So – quick and easy. Now I just have to take the mat out of the bag and use it!

No comments:

Post a Comment