Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2015 - the year of the pie!

I'm usually the dessert girl for potlucks - I love baking and making cakes. But pies have always been this mysterious thing for me. I have it in my head that piemaking is a difficult thing. So, I don't do it.

At my parent's house on Christmas Eve I watched my Mom whip up two pies - one lemon, one key lime. As I was sitting there, thinking how straightforward that appeared, Wilf drifted by. Soon Mom and Wilf were having a discussion about the easiness of pie and then they looked at me. Between them they figured out when I had last made a pie. A pecan pie. For Dad's birthday. At our house in Toronto. Which we moved out of in 1990. So probably in the late 1980's. Hmmm. Pointed looks from both of them.

'Okay,' said I. '2015 is the year of the pie. Not only that, I'll bring pie for the New Year's Day party.'

I present to you the first pie of 2015 - banana cream pie.


The crust is courtesy of Mr. Pilsbury. The filling is homemade vanilla custard from Cooks Illustrated with bananas and whipped cream.

I figure I'll eventually get to making the crust from scratch, but the year of pie is underway!

------------
So you'll notice that this was actually posted in 2014. Turns out I was supposed to make a New Years Eve pie. This one was the first pie of 2014. Also the last pie of 2014.  And the only pie of 2014. It was very yummy.  More pie to follow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment